How do you say thank you for something that doesn't seem to have an end? For a life, for a breath, for a sunset... Things that we could praise God for until the day we die. I'm convinced that these things are beyond our comprehension. We should never stop being thankful of course, but I believe that words really can't cover it. I've tried and tried to write poems, draw pictures, live my life in ways that could better describe the appreciation I have. It just doesn't come easy. Some may say "well, just stick with what you know. there's no use in exasperating it when you've already got a good thing going." That may be true, but the moments when I think that what I have is sufficient, those days when I think I've got it together, those weeks when things are good... sometimes we forget.
Psalms is packed full of praise. David was a man who knew and understood where all praise was due. Psalm 148 says,
1 Praise the LORD. [a]
Praise the LORD from the heavens,
praise him in the heights above.
2 Praise him, all his angels,
praise him, all his heavenly hosts.
3 Praise him, sun and moon,
praise him, all you shining stars.
4 Praise him, you highest heavens
and you waters above the skies.
5 Let them praise the name of the LORD,
for he commanded and they were created.
6 He set them in place for ever and ever;
he gave a decree that will never pass away.
7 Praise the LORD from the earth,
you great sea creatures and all ocean depths,
8 lightning and hail, snow and clouds,
stormy winds that do his bidding,
9 you mountains and all hills,
fruit trees and all cedars,
10 wild animals and all cattle,
small creatures and flying birds,
11 kings of the earth and all nations,
you princes and all rulers on earth,
12 young men and maidens,
old men and children.
13 Let them praise the name of the LORD,
for his name alone is exalted;
his splendor is above the earth and the heavens.
14 He has raised up for his people a horn, [b]
the praise of all his saints,
of Israel, the people close to his heart.
Praise the LORD.
This is just one of the 150 Psalms in the Bible.
Going back to my question at the beginning... "How do you say thank you for something that doesn't seem to have an end?" The answer? Just don't stop. Give him every ounce of your being. It's that feeling you'll get when you're driving down the street and glance up to the sky... He's the breeze, the landscape, the sunsets, the faces around you... God is everything, everywhere!! If we stop to appreciate those things, then "thank you" isn't something we'll have to try to word, decribe, express. It'll be who we are! David, even when he was needing rescuing from Evil men would praise God for his unfailing Love, his unceasing care. Isn't it time? Isn't it time that we just live a life of Praise?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment