Thursday, January 03, 2008

Steaks, Waiters and Springfield...

I went to a barbeque restaurant tonight, it was quite awesome... i ate an awesome steak btw. We were blessed with awesome service, our waiter was really fun and as we later discovered, he no longer attended church. His spirit was really giving and uplifting, a natural servant in my mind. He spoke of his children with pride and his nearing college degree with excitement. Overall, this man kinda dumb founded me with his outlook on life for someone who didn't go to church. I don't mean this in a way that implies I believe only Christians find satisfaction. I just mean, this man had some kind of inner peace that wasn't his own. Is it possible that God works in peoples lives before anyone has spoken a single evangelistic phrase to them? Can God work to ready someones heart for service of Him, before anyone has had a chance to reach them? This idea has actually been following me all week. I heard a teacher last sunday that in a round about way, said the opposite. Saying that God doesn't move in people's lives until a 'seed' has been planted. Sure, he once attended church, but his attitude towards the assembly itself was one of dissatisfaction because of disunity. Both he and his wife left the church long ago. Tonight, my dad spoke with him about some of these things and the way he was taken back by my dad's questions I know God was working. It seemed as though the man had possibly been thinking about this for some time. After our encounter with this waiter, we went to the door to pay for our food and met the manager. Behind their desk was an american flag with the ten commandments on it... and a plaque with this phrase on it:

"every 60 sec's you spend upset is a minute of happieness you will never get back... break the rules: laugh loudly, kiss your spouse longer, eat those sweets..."

I could tell that this restaurant owner was different. His staff were managed with grace instead of harsh ridicule. A Christian man owning a business made an obvious difference... he knew that the waiter we complamented was a good worker, but little did he know he was making a difference in that man's life. He hadn't 'planted a seed' but he created a peaceful work environment. I could see God working through that manager to open that waiters heart. I don't know what will come of this man, we met him while we were traveling across country. But I will be keeping him in my prayers! I pray that someone else comes along and helps to point him in the right direction. He will be a great man of God...

So... I have a prayer request. Please keep our waiter Joshua in your prayers. Even if you only think of him every now and again, your prayer will not be wasted. And if you're ever in Springfield, MO stop by Western Sizlin' across from Walmart and ask for Joshua. (He'll be the nice man juggling trays and coffee pots with a smile on his face)

No comments: