I’m at home here in DF. It’s actually really impressive. I know that culture shock and depression are things that I'm well acquainted with with all of the change I've gone through, but this city has taught me something else. It has told me that time means nothing. Time is forever; time is a wink.
People are late on a regular basis. It’s not that they are apathetic (well, not all of them) and it’s not because they are forgetful (once again, not always.) But it’s who they are. Time will always be there, family is precious and food is important.
I am learning a different kind of fellowship than I was used to. I imagined that “fellowship” is that time at church… or time spent with my college group. In Mexico, fellowship is friendship. “Fellowship” is how their world works.
So once again I’ll say; time is forever; time is a wink. It’s just how it is.
When greeting a Mexican; kiss each other on the right cheek.
Tell them; Good morning, good evening or ‘how are you?’
Always eat the food.
Don’t take off your shoes.
Try not to be the first one to leave an event.
Ask them about their family (they love to tell you.)
I love Mexico. Because even thought the social “rules” may be different, they aren’t ridiculous. Time. Time is on your side; they aren’t counting. It’s a matter of try vs. silence. Humility vs. Pride.
It all transpires in just a wink of an eye. Time.
No comments:
Post a Comment